Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hamster Song

From the backseat of the car, Byron and I hear a request:  "Mommy, can you put on the hamster song?"

Hamster song?

Thinking (clearly unreasonably) that he was referring to the Hamster Dance song (i.e. the most annoying song in the world), I tell him that we don't have that on my iPhone or Daddy's Droid.  "Yes, you do," comes the reply.  "No, we don't."  (Don't bother asking why I would argue with a then-four-year-old.  It just happens, and I can't explain it.)

"Yes, you do, Mommy.  We listened to it in the car yesterday.  Remember?"

No, no I don't.  I would have remembered being subjected to the audio torture that is the Hamster Dance.  It is at this point that I realize that he is not in fact talking about the Hamster Dance (thank God), but that he is talking about some other, yet-to-be-identified song.

So I start asking questions.  "When did we listen to it?"  Yesterday on the way to school, and then again on the way home.  "Was it on the radio?"  No.  "Is it on my iPhone?"  Yes, it is.  "Is it on your iPod?"  No.  Okay... narrowing the field.  "Is it a kids' song?"  No, it's a mommy song.  Hmmm.  This isn't boding well.  "What does it sound like?"

And this is what we hear, in perfect rhythm:

"Hot and dangerous... if you're one of us then roll with us.... 'cause we make the hipsters fall in love when we've got our hot pants on and up."

Yes, you read that correctly.  The "Hamster Song" is Ke$ha's "We R Who We R."

Oh yeah... Parents of the Year, 2011.

No comments: